Monday 28 October 2019

Poem - Finding My Lines



FINDING MY LINES


I’ve got a poem in my head
I just can’t quite yet put to bed
The rhymes don’t work 
The metre’s rotten
I wonder if it’s 
best forgotten?


But words won’t stop their awful nagging
Around my brain the lines keep dragging
They tell me this
They tell me that
I give it up 
and stroke the cat


And then they’re back, pounding, pleading
I’ve no idea where this is leading
I think I could 
try some allusion
That only adds
To my confusion


Keep on going with this endeavour
Don’t try to be too bloody clever
Assonance?  
Hyperbole?
No, stick with what
you’ve got to say


Simple’s best, and you know it
If you are to be a poet
That people read
And people get
You’re not after 
the snobby set


It’s never easy, writing verse
I get so grumpy, snappy, terse
Then thoughts coalesce
And writing’s fun
And here it is
This poem’s done

No comments:

Post a Comment